UPDATE: Campus Assault Classified as Hate Crime

2116

City on a Hill Press will continue to update this story as it develops.

Update November 17, 5:30 p.m. : UC Santa Cruz Police Department (UCSC PD) has determined the Nov. 11 assault in which a female student reported being followed and attacked by three male suspects as a hate crime because at least one of the suspects used homophobic slurs due to the actual or perceived sexual orientation of the student. 

No further description of the suspects has been given at this time, although the UCSC PD has said they have received multiple tips from community members.

Anyone with information is still encouraged to call UCSC PD at 831-459-2231, ext. 1. 

A female student reported being assaulted by three male suspects on Saturday at 11:30 p.m. The student was walking on the footpath north west of the Quarry Amphitheater, where the suspects followed her, began calling out at her with offensive language and struck her on the head with a rock, according to a crime bulletin sent by the UC Santa Cruz Police Department (UCSC PD).

The student fled the scene, and was later treated for minor injuries by the Santa Cruz Fire Department. UCSC PD is looking into the incident as a possible hate crime.

All three suspects are men in their early 20s. One was unshaven, wearing sweatpants of an unknown color and a dark baseball cap. The second wore a light-colored sweatshirt, and no further description was given for the third.

Anyone with information is encouraged to call the UCSC PD at 831-459-2231, ext. 1.

SHARE
Previous article“Back to You, America”
Next articleGathering in Solidarity, Students Call for Action
Sean D. Ross is editor for the City News desk at City on a Hill Press. Previously, Sean served as an editor for the Investigative News desk and as a reporter for the Campus, City and Sports desks over the past two years. Before coming to UC Santa Cruz, he was News Editor for the Diablo Valley College Inquirer, contributing to the Inquirer earning the Journalism Association of Community Colleges’ “General Excellence” award at the 2016 Northern California Conference. For his coverage of California fires in the fall of 2017, Sean was awarded third prize in the California College Media Association’s Breaking News competition. Sean is pursuing a career in law, and has interned for renowned California attorney James M. Wagstaffe. Besides casually browsing LexisNexis, Sean enjoys board games of all stripes, competitive Magic: the Gathering, playing the french horn, automotive racing and the literary stylings of Neil Gaiman.