Men’s Tennis Serves up a Win

UCSC continues strong Division III performance

1224

The men’s tennis team secured a substantial 8-1 victory against Cal Lutheran University on Saturday, its second consecutive Division III win. The slugs lost only one singles match in the meet.

The mid-season win brings men’s tennis to an overall record of 3-3, with all three of its losses being to Division I and II teams, such as University of Southern California and University of Nevada, Reno. Men’s tennis is slated to next play Division II opponents Point Loma Nazarene after a two-week reprieve from competition.

Junior A.J. Flora also extended a jaw-dropping win streak: he has yet to lose a single game against both Division III opponent this season, winning all of his matches 6-0.

The day began with three doubles matches, all of which went to the Slugs; Chad Stone and Ryan Dugan edged out at 8-6, while the pairings of Sean Hollister/Chad Le Duff and Derek Levchenko/A.J. Flora each secured more commanding wins at 8-3 and 8-1, respectively. Those wins provided momentum that carried over to a strong performance in the singles. Aside from the loss given up by team captain Chad Stone, Cal Lutheran was only able to win more than three games in a match once.

Stone attributed the team’s strong performance within its division to the team’s relentless drive and year-round practice regimen, saying that some of his teammates made a point of being on the court five to six days a week.

“Everyone stepped up and everyone did their part,” Stone said. “We all played with a lot of fight and a lot of heart, so we came out on top pretty convincingly.”

SHARE
Previous articleHonoring the Afro-Latinx Beat
Next articleTheresa the Appeaser’s New Friend
Sean D. Ross is editor for the City News desk at City on a Hill Press. Previously, Sean served as an editor for the Investigative News desk and as a reporter for the Campus, City and Sports desks over the past two years. Before coming to UC Santa Cruz, he was News Editor for the Diablo Valley College Inquirer, contributing to the Inquirer earning the Journalism Association of Community Colleges’ “General Excellence” award at the 2016 Northern California Conference. For his coverage of California fires in the fall of 2017, Sean was awarded third prize in the California College Media Association’s Breaking News competition. Sean is pursuing a career in law, and has interned for renowned California attorney James M. Wagstaffe. Besides casually browsing LexisNexis, Sean enjoys board games of all stripes, competitive Magic: the Gathering, playing the french horn, automotive racing and the literary stylings of Neil Gaiman.