Gopal Balakrishnan Title IX Investigation Concluded

2168

A months-long Title IX investigation concluded UC Santa Cruz professor Gopal Balakrishnan engaged in conduct that violated the UC Policy on Sexual Harassment, which was in place until 2015. The conclusion comes after a letter detailing seven in-depth public accusations of sexual assault and violence and three Title IX complaints sparked the investigation, which began in February. For now, Balakrishnan will remain on paid administrative leave.

Allegations of inappropriate behavior range from attending parties and consuming alcohol and drugs with students to forcing nonconsensual oral sex on an intoxicated undergraduate student circle around the professor.

Campus administration is still in the process of determining what disciplinary action to take next in accordance with the required personnel procedures, according to an email sent to campus staff from Executive Vice Chancellor Marlene Tromp.

The campus will hold a town hall meeting next month to provide updates on the Balakrishnan case, Title IX office, Campus Advocacy, Resources & Education (CARE) office and Beyond Compliance initiative. The administration is working on finalizing a date, time and location, according to UC Santa Cruz director of news and media relations Scott Hernandez-Jason.  

Balakrishnan is receiving an annual salary of $110,300 while on paid administrative leave.

SHARE
Previous articleBomb Squad Called for Controlled Detonation
Next articleRevised Student Housing West Environmental Impact Report Released
Farrah Safari is the Campus Desk editor at City on a Hill Press. She reported for city desk from winter to spring quarter of 2018. During this time, she found that her passion for journalism centered around investigative reporting— uncovering corrupt institutions and revealing the truth behind oppressive systems and practices. She is a literature and sociology double major with a concentration in world studies and a proposed film and digital media minor. Although she focuses most of her energy on City on a Hill Press she is also the vice president of ADCMP, the African Dysphoria Chain Mentorship Program, a member of African Student Union (ASU) and participates in slam poetry competitions.