Guide to State Ballot Measures

312

California’s voters will be asked to vote yes or no on 11 state propositions come Nov. 6. We researched all 11 measures — here’s our breakdown.

Proposition 1 — Bonds for Government Housing Assistance Programs

A “yes” vote would authorize $4 billion in state bonds to provide housing to veterans, low-income families and farmworkers. Funds from the sale of these bonds would be used to build, renovate and finance housing that the state would repay for $170 million annually over the next 35 years. This is about one-tenth of the state’s current general fund budget.

Proposition 2 — Housing for Individuals with Mental Illnesses

A “yes” vote would implement the No Place Like Home program, which would build or rehabilitate housing for people with mental illnesses who are houseless or at risk of becoming houseless. The $140 million of yearly funding and up to $2 billion in borrowing to fund the program would come from the already passed Mental Health Services Act. That act, passed in 2004, is funded by a 1 percent tax on Californians who earn $1 million or more.

Proposition 3 — Bonds to Fund Water Preservation and Conservation

A “yes” vote would authorize about $8.9 billion in bonds to fund projects relating to water, like safe drinking water, watershed improvements, habitat protection and groundwater sustainability. The proposition would prioritize marginalized communities. Bonds will be paid back over 40 years at a rate of about $430 million per year of taxpayer money.

Proposition 4 — Bonds to Fund Construction at Children’s Hospitals

A “yes” vote would authorize the sale of $1.5 billion in bonds to fund improvements to qualifying children’s hospitals serving children eligible for government programs. The funds would be split among private and public nonprofit hospitals. Bonds will be paid back over 35 years with an average  $80 million per  year.

Proposition 5 — Removal of Requirements on Changing Property Tax Base

A “yes” vote would remove certain requirements for homeowners who are over 55 years old or severely disabled to transfer their property tax base to another residence that they own.

Under the existing law, if someone moves to a home cheaper than the one they currently live in, they may transfer the tax base on their current home to the cheaper home. Under the proposed bill, they would be able to transfer the tax base of their current home to a more expensive  one.

This would ultimately reduce local tax revenues and over the years could lead to the loss of up to $1 billion per year for schools and local governments

Proposition 6 — Eliminates Fuel Taxes and Vehicle Fees

A “yes” vote  would eliminate fuel taxes and vehicle fees, decreasing state funding for public transportation and road and highway maintenance from $4.4 to $2 billion. The new law would also the legislature to get voter approval for new or increased gas or vehicle taxes, making tax increases more difficult. The bill would decrease gas and vehicle prices, but likely worsen the quality of roads and increase emissions.

Proposition 7 — Conforms Daylight Savings Time to Federal Law

A “yes” vote would permit California voters to make changes to California’s daylight saving time (DST) period. This could potentially result in a vote to make DST permanent year-round, like in Hawaii and Arizona.

Proposition 8 — Regulates Cost for Kidney Dialysis Treatment

A “yes” vote would mandate chronic dialysis clinics (CDCs) to pay rebates to patients for any costs of treatment over a set cap. It would be generally lower than what patients currently pay for dialysis  treatment.

The proposition could save patients money on lifesaving medical treatment, or make treatment more dangerous due to CDCs cutting costs to evade the cap on  prices.

Proposition 9 — Removed from the Ballot

Proposition 10 — Repeals Restrictions on Local Rent Control Policies

A “yes” vote would expand local governments’ authority to implement strict rent control policy, which was outlawed by the Costa-Hawkins Rental Housing Act of 1995. Costa-Hawkins banned vacancy control statewide and established exemptions for certain rental units from rent control.

More coverage on page 19.

Proposition 11 — Private Ambulance Employees On-Call During Breaks

A “yes” vote would make an exception of labor law to private ambulance employees, mandating them to remain on-call during work breaks for meals and rest. Private companies operate about 75 percent of ambulances and their employees would also have regulated break times. Ambulances would be more readily available to respond to emergencies.

Proposition 12 — Increases Minimum Space Requirements for Certain Farm Animals

A “yes” vote would establish new minimum space requirements for certain cows, pigs and chickens. Additionally, the proposition would require egg-laying hens to be raised in cage-free environments after Dec. 21, 2021 and prohibits commercial sales of animals raised out of compliance with the proposition.

The proposition would most likely increase the cost of pork, eggs and veal due to farmers having to renovate facilities to meet the new requirements.

SHARE
Previous articleLocal Officials Vow to Fight New Green Card Rules
Next articleEnvironmental Policies to Watch
Shinae Lee is Arts and Culture Editor for City on a Hill Press. She has reported for every desk at City on a Hill in her two years on the paper, but has focused most of her time until now as a campus reporter and editor. She describes her favorite reporting subject as, “in-depth stories about things that really matter to people.” Though she focuses much of her time on the newspaper, she is also a Feminist Studies major, vice president of the Korean American Student Association, print coordinator for Student Media and occasional babysitter. In her scarce and precious free time she can be found organizing her life artistically in her bullet journal, watching The Great British Baking Show or traveling on a budget.

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/chp2009/cityonahillpress.com/wp-content/themes/Newspaper/loop-single.php on line 89