The Santa Cruz Police Department (SCPD) and UC Santa Cruz Police Department (UCSCPD) document all reported crimes in the city and on campus. All information is provided by the SCPD and UCSCPD. All suspects are innocent until proven guilty.

{City}

UCSC student arrested in stolen bike sting

Feb. 11, 1 p.m. — SCPD was contacted by a man from San Luis Obispo who said he had found his Specialized brand mountain bike, worth $4,000 and recently stolen, for sale on Craigslist in Santa Cruz. An undercover officer posed as a buyer and arranged to buy the bike at the 200 block of Cardiff Place, near the base of campus. When the UCSC student selling the stolen bike arrived, officers waiting nearby moved in and took him into custody. The suspect was booked into Santa Cruz County Jail for possession of stolen property.

Three teenage boys caught after fleeing commercial break-in

Feb. 11, 10:48 p.m. — Officers responding to a break-in at a business on the 300 block of Coral Street found three teenage boys fleeing on foot. Officers were able to detain and arrest the three, who were found with two laptop computers that were taken from the business. One of the suspects had been cut by broken glass. Wolfgang Hankel, 19, of Capitola, and Erin Courtney, 18, of Soquel, were booked into Santa Cruz County Jail on commercial burglary and possession of stolen property. Charges are pending for the third alleged burglar, a 16-year-old boy.

Man has bad trip, found hugging tree

Feb. 15, 10:56 p.m. — Officers responded to a report of a subject hugging a palm tree at Ocean and Broadway streets. Officers found Jeremiah Long, 23, a Santa Cruz transient, acting in an erratic and paranoid manner and complaining that he was seeing strange lights. The suspect was taken to Dominican Hospital to receive medical clearance, then transported to Santa Cruz County Jail on charges of public intoxication.

Four people injured in downtown knife fight

February 17, 1:38 a.m. — Officers responding to the Red Room for a noise compliant saw approximately eight to 10 people fighting in the intersection of Cedar and Locust streets. The subjects ran when officers arrived, but the officers located four people involved in the fight on Church Street, two of them with stab wounds. They were transported to Dominican Hospital and later flown to out-of-county trauma centers.

Officers found knives on both stabbing victims, as well as on another person believed to have been involved in the altercation. Witnesses reported that the suspects and victims were in a verbal argument, and that gang-related phrases were uttered just before they fought. Police believe the fight was gang-related and those involved have not been cooperating with the investigation. Police arrested David Johnson, 23, of Watsonville and Juan Ponce-Gonzalez, 25, a Santa Cruz County resident, on charges of fighting in public and being drunk in public.

{Campus}

Drunk in public arrests

On Feb. 12, 3:05 a.m. and Feb. 15, 4:36 a.m., individual students were arrested for being drunk in public at Stevenson College and Cowell College respectively.

Porter student cited for graffiti

Feb. 15, 2:01 a.m. — A student was found spray-painting graffiti on plywood at the construction site of the Biomedical Sciences Building on Science Hill. The student was cited for vandalism and possession of aerosol paint in public, then released.