The Santa Cruz Police Department (SCPD) and UC Santa Cruz Police Department (UCSCPD) document all reported crimes in the city and on campus. All information is provided by the SCPD and UCSCPD. All suspects are innocent until proven guilty.

{City}

Man Flips Truck on Empire Grade

Feb. 25, 3:18 a.m. — California Highway Patrol responded to a report of a pickup truck on its side on Empire Grade near UC Santa Cruz. When officers arrived on scene, the driver was nowhere to be found. Around 7 a.m., a Santa Cruz city worker spotted the 29-year-old suspect, intoxicated and injured from the crash, at the intersection of High Street and Tosca Terrace. He was taken to Dominican Hospital for his injuries and then booked into Santa Cruz County Jail on suspicion of driving under the influence.

Wanted Man Runs From Police

Feb. 25, 2:46 p.m. — A 37-year-old Santa Cruz man wanted on a stalking charge fled from police on the San Lorenzo levee and into downtown. About an hour later, officers spotted the suspect at the Santa Cruz Metro Center on Pacific Avenue and took him into custody. He was booked into Santa Cruz County Jail for an outstanding warrant and evading a police officer.

{Campus}

Jogging Woman Sexually Battered

Feb. 25, 1:35 p.m. — A woman jogging in UCSC’s upper campus was sexually battered near Fuel Break Road and Chinquapin Road. A suspect approached the victim on his bicycle and grabbed her buttocks. She described the suspect as a white male in his 20s, with a slender build, light brown spiky hair, and a very light complexion. He may have followed her from the parking lot near the fire station.

Hateful Graffiti Found on Campus

March 1 — A image of a noose, with the words “San Diego” and “Lynch” written on the sides, was found on the inside of a bathroom door at Earth and Marine Sciences. It is currently under investigation by UCSCPD as a possible hate crime, as well as an act of vandalism.

March 1, 2:43 p.m. — Graffiti was found on the office door of the Women’s Center stating “Beware! You Should Be Scared!”

March 2, 12:41 p.m. — Graffiti was found at the Music Center with the words “Diego Lynch” written inside the image of a noose.