The Santa Cruz Police Department (SCPD) and UC Santa Cruz Police Department (UCSCPD) document all reported crimes in the city and on campus. All information is provided by the SCPD and UCSCPD. We have chosen not to disclose the names of those involved because all suspects are innocent until proven guilty.

~~~~~

{Campus}

Professor finds suspicious damage to car

May 28, 12:56 p.m. — A professor discovered two lug nuts had been removed, and three others were loose, from his/her car after parking it on campus.

{City}

Man killed by creek in possible drug deal gone bad

May 28, 5:39 p.m. — SCPD responded to the 300 block of Dakota Ave by Branciforte Creek to a report of shots fired and a subject with gunshot wounds. Witnesses told police that two men were talking when one of the men shot the other in the torso and fled on foot. The victim, later identified as a 26-year-old Santa Cruz transient, was flown to a trauma center, where he died the next morning. An SCPD police dog discovered a handgun buried under some brush while doing a sweep of the crime scene. The next day, at 11:45 a.m., neighbors called to report a suspicious person at the scene. SCPD officers found the suspect, a 26-year-old Felton man, in the area where the gun was discovered. The suspect fled, jumping through backyards, and attempted to force his way into a residence. He surrendered when officers arrived with a police dog. Officers took him into custody on suspicion of homicide. Based on drugs found at the scene, SCPD believes the motive of the killing was a drug deal gone bad or a possible robbery. Both the victim and the suspect had prior drug-related arrests.

Cat dies after being shot with arrow on Westside

May 30, 2:30 p.m. — A resident of Walk Circle on the Westside called 911 to report a black and white male cat with an arrow through its back that was dragging its rear legs. An animal control officer responded and was able to take the cat to a veterinarian, but the cat was euthanized due to the severity of the injury from the one-and-a-half-foot-long arrow. The cat did not have a collar or chip to identify an owner. Animal Services, along with SCPD and the California Department of Justice, are working with DNA testing on the arrow to find the shooter. The unknown suspect faces charges of animal cruelty and weapons charges for using a bow and arrow within city limits.