Arts:

Visual Politics: Art and the American Experience – The Santa Cruz Art League presents the selected works of local political artivists. The revolution will not be televised, but picket signs must be checked at the door.

Oct. 27 – Nov. 25, open Wed. – Sat. from 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sun. 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Santa Cruz Art League

Dia de los Muertos Community Festival – Get crafty with calaveras (skull) masks and cutty with papeles picados (paper banners) in a folkloric celebration of a Latin American tradition. Free First Friday makes a lively ofrenda of cultural festivities in the MAH atrium, set to the percussive rhythm of acoustic rancheras and colorful dance.

Nov. 2, 4:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., the Museum of Art History

Entertainment:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari– A Live Soundtrack Experience – The 1919 German expressionist film noir to be projected behind the live, riotous musical stylings of the New Music Works ensemble, matched note-for-note down to the mise-en-scène details. $9 in advance, $10 at door for students.

Oct. 26, show at 8:00 p.m., The Rio Theatre

Raw Geronimo with Slumber Party and Big Tree – No wave indie sextet funnels disjointed song structures and cavernous sonar calls into the eerie, textured echoes of operatic goth-pop. Joined by fuzz folk crooners SlumberParty and the lush harmonies of Big Tree, to form an organic tripartite lineup in the vein of musique concrète. $8 at door.

Oct. 26, show at 9:00 p.m., The Crepe Place

Halloween on Pacific Avenue – Don your Brother Droog getup or Guy Fawkes mask with locals, friends, and foreigners on all Hallow’s eve. Trick-or-treating is not on the program, and neither is mom and dad’s guiding flashlight, so bring your own sweet tarts and street smarts – you know, the safety kind.

Oct. 31, starts at sundown, Pacific Avenue

Events:

Bay Area Star Party – Lil B will not be present for this one, but starcast includes potential planetary sightings with provided telescopes for public viewing, and grad students orbiting the deck to offer observing tips. Brought to you by the UCSC Astronomy Club and Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics.

Oct. 26, starts at 7:30 p.m., West part of campus field behind UCSC Music Center

Third Annual Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk Chili Cook-off – Grab your torch and pitchforks for a Boardwalk frolic sure to smell like bean spirit. The third annual cook-off brings the heat with classic and vegetarian renditions of the saucy red entree, as well as culinary enthusiasts costumed in the pirate and porcine variety.

Oct. 27, public tasting begins at 1:00 p.m., Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

“Rethinking Development in light of Climate Change” – Interdisciplinary conference amasses researchers and practitioners from California and surrounding states with a concern for climate change. The discussion will focus on unchecked urban development and local economies through a critical lens, initiating panel members and speakers to strategize methods of curbing the adverse environmental effects of growing industry.

Oct. 27, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., UCSC Oakes College