Obituary: Crown College CRE Shane Sanchez

706

Winter break saw the death of Shane Sanchez, a staple of Crown and Merrill colleges. Students and staff members remember the coordinator for residential education (CRE) at Crown College, as a brave and dedicated leader, always willing to stand up for those with less power in the community and on campus. 

A staff member of UC Santa Cruz since 2005, Sanchez’s work can be seen in the restoration and beautification of the Crown and Merrill College Community Room and personified by his dedication to develop student leaders. 

Those who worked closely with him remember instances of Sanchez going out of his way to lend assistance and showing deep compassion when handling student affairs. Though he wasn’t under Sanchez’s direct supervision, third-year and former Merrill resident assistant Christopher Bolaños recalled being able to count on Sanchez for guidance. 

“He was really what the college was meant to be,” Bolaños said. “These are what the CREs are meant to be. Regardless of the college or your affiliation, for anything that’s happening, true undivided attention is what Shane gave us and it was really amazing.” 

Sanchez was a familiar face throughout campus. He could be seen frequently walking his dog, Galaxy, around campus, and he brought an explosive personality to the fitness classes he taught at the Office of Physical Education, Recreation and Sports. Sanchez also provided time as the advisor to the Tabletop Gaming Association and supported the Interfaith Council on campus. 

The university will be holding a celebration of life for Sanchez open to all on Feb. 10 at 1 p.m. at the Cultural Center at Merrill. 

Previous articleObituary: Founding Faculty John Dizikes
Next articleStudent Adviser to the Regents Role to Continue
Chloe Reynolds is co-editor in chief at City on a Hill Press and an award winning student journalist. Beginning her career as a campus reporter, she found a passion for reporting on issues affecting communities of color on campus and in Santa Cruz. She was then promoted to be the Arts & Culture editor, which she changed from the Arts & Entertainment desk in order to effectively report on the struggles and successes of people of color. In her storyfinding she challenges the culture of what is classically considered “newsworthy”, looking for stories that are underreported and undervalued. She enjoys learning, unlearning and keeping her coily hair adequately moisturized.

Warning: require(/home/chp2009/cityonahillpress.com/wp-content/plugins/td-composer/legacy/Newspaper): failed to open stream: Success in /home/chp2009/cityonahillpress.com/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1510

Fatal error: require(): Failed opening required '/home/chp2009/cityonahillpress.com/wp-content/plugins/td-composer/legacy/Newspaper/' (include_path='.:') in /home/chp2009/cityonahillpress.com/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1510