Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) will be conducting planned power outages across the Bay Area in response to high winds that increase the risk of wildfires. Outages are expected to start at 8 p.m. tonight and conclude at 10 p.m. on Friday, affecting about 54,000 customers.
An email from UC Santa Cruz Public Affairs stated the outages are not expected to affect the residential campus, however on- and off-campus residents should take the appropriate steps to be prepared.
Find Out if Your Address is Likely to Be Affected
PG&E’s address lookup tool is the most up-to-date and accurate way to get information about whether your address is likely to be affected. For a map view of current and future planned outages, click here.
Blackout Preparedness Quick Tips
- If your address is in an anticipated blackout zone, reach out to your professors and teaching assistants early to let them know you may be without power.
- Write down essential phone numbers. If your phone dies, you will want to have these handy.
- Purchase a portable phone charger or remember to charge one you already have.
- Purchase a flashlight and a couple of extra batteries.
- Freeze containers of water, in bags or Tupperware, and transfer them to your refrigerator to keep food cold if you lose power.
- Make sure you have general emergency kit supplies, including basic first aid, personal hygiene items, and any necessary medications.